Promotion and preview video’s at bottom of page
This genealogy (family history) course covers tried and tested techniques that are proven to work for finding your ancestors; your genealogy.
- 200 students enrolled (Aug 2020)
- 22 videos (1hr 38mins)
- 19 Downloadable resources
- 11 articles
- 7 video/Slide combination
- 7 sections
- 4.09 course rating out of 5 (Aug 2020)
Based on English and Welsh records (parish registers and birth, marriage and death) the techniques covered within are applicable to family history research in any country. Guidance on starting your research in other countries (from the United Kingdom) is given in the course.
This course includes video, PowerPoint slides, articles, top tips, exercises, handouts, templates and further homework should you choose to undertake this. The course is structured into 7 sections: Start Here, Why Research Family History, How to Start, Recording Your Research, Databases and Indexes, Vital Records and a Summary. Depending upon your interest and speed this course will take between 2 and 4 hours to complete; I’d suggest you take the course over at least 2 or more 1 hour sessions / 2 days.
If you are thinking of starting research into your family history, or have just started this is the course for you. Delivered by an experienced, qualified, professional genealogist, Robert Parker will share his secrets for finding your ancestors.
What stories might your ancestors tell?
What are the requirements?
- An interest in your ancestors, their stories and family history research
- You may have started your research and got stuck, or be unsure how to proceed. This knowledge of what you need to learn or what you don’t know is useful, but not essential
- An interest in English or Welsh Family History Records. However the techniques taught in this course will be useful for any family history research, even if you don’t have English or Welsh ancestors
- Prior knowledge of family history research is NOT required.
Who is the target audience?
- Those interested in their ancestors and their family history
- Those just starting their family history research
- Those who have just started their family history research
- Those who wish to refresh their skills
- This course is probably NOT suitable for professional genealogists (Family historians) as it is an introduction course.
What am I going to get from this course?
- appreciate why you are researching your family tree
- understand the starting point for your research
- realise the importance of record keeping
- identify online databases available for identifying potential ancestors, and how to use these effectively
- distinguish the vital records available to help identify your ancestors
- list ‘what to do’ and ‘what not to do’ in your family history research
- Introduction to my online course
- Your course tutor
- Section 1: Start Here
- Section 2: Why research Family History
- Section 3: How to start your Family History Research
- Section 4: Recording your Family History
- Section 5: Use online databases for locating information
- Section 6: Vital Records
- Section 7: Summary