An Introduction to Family History Research
Based on English and Welsh records (parish registers and birth, marriage and death) the techniques covered within are applicable to family history research in any country.
This course includes video, slides, articles, top tips, exercises, handouts, templates and further homework should you choose to undertake this. The course is structured into 7 sections: Start Here, Why Research Family History, How to Start, Recording Your Research, Databases and Indexes, Vital Records and a Summary. This course will take between 1.5 and 2 hours to complete.
If you are thinking of starting research into your family history, or have just started this is the course for you. Delivered by an experienced, qualified, professional genealogist, Robert Parker will share his secrets for finding your ancestors.
What stories might your ancestors tell?
- Prior knowledge of family history research is NOT required.
- An interest in your ancestors, their stories and family history research.
- You may have started your research and got stuck, or be unsure how to proceed. This knowledge of what you need to learn or what you don’t know is useful, but not essential.
- An interest in English or Welsh Family History Records. However the techniques taught in this course will be useful for any family history research, even if you don’t have English or Welsh ancestors.
What is the target audience?
- Those interested in their ancestors and their family history.
- Those just starting their family history research.
- Those who have just started their family history research
- Those who wish to refresh their skills.
- This course is probably NOT suitable for professional genealogists (Family historians) as it is an introduction course
What am I going to get from this course?
- appreciate why you are researching your family tree
- understand the starting point for your research
- realise the importance of record keeping
- identify databases available for identifying potential ancestors, and how to use these effectively
- distinguish the vital records available to help identify your ancestors
- list ‘what to do’ and ‘what not to do’ in your family history research
“An interesting and methodical Introductory course. The material is well-organised. The site is easy to navigate and to pick up from where you left off. Useful tips and, as an ex-lecturer and online tutor myself, the training approach of overview>info>supporting material>summary is recognised good practice. “Angela
“This course is a great introduction to UK Family History Research. Rob really knows his stuff and presents the course in an easy to follow style.”Mark
Register now and access a preview video for my course
Home: 01480 212962
Mobile: 07803 129207